Upcoming Meets


I wish I could weave this more eloquently into a nice ride story, but ornamentation is often fake, which is why I shall avoid it for now. What I feel is very sincere gratitude which needs no ketchup.

Could’ve foreseen it. The type of bike was new to my Bullet-accustomed arse, and the rubber was bad. A tad bit hot in the corner, a calculated attempt to shave off speed mid-bend, crash and roadrash. A second or two by the roadside to check if all was fine with me, and a look behind to search for the bike. No bike, only a steep drop off the road. Worry. Look down below, scan for the bike. Spot it and feel your heart sink. Fuck.


We’re brought up thinking falls are ridiculous and a result of either incompetence or stupidity. The guilt built around wrecking a bike is enormous. Obviously, I wished to hit myself on the head. But here’s where things started getting different; weird even. Where I expected sly grins and understated ridicule, there was comforting. Where I expected help which came at a price, there was priceless assistance. Where I expected comments which would make any guy feel small and dumb, there were smiles, smokes and high-fives on offer. From people I’d known for two-friggin’-hours. This was new.

This is to let you guys know how unique, and more importantly, how special this culture that you guys have developed is. It is way too easy to feel ‘holier than thou’ before a man in trouble. It is natural to make yourself feel big by seeing someone make a mistake which you have so deftly avoided. Obviously, it is the norm in the world outside. Or maybe I’ve just been dealing with a wrong world.

What happened felt good because there was empathy. For the fact that the new guy shares the same mindset of being better and faster. And that this sometimes comes at a price, which eventually heals. That everyone who wishes to be fast crashes. And even if it is no badge of glory, once the big deal behind crashing is banished there is analysis, learning, growth, and a better rider just round the corner.

This is to say a million thanks. To Speedy for the sense, Kiran and Vikas for riding the difficult mangled remains to safety, Lokesh for the laughs, and Sagar for the Scorpio ride, the music and the drifts. I’m indebted for a friggin’ long time, if not for life. Thanks all you guys again for the support. See you soon. Cheers.

Shadowfax

No comments: